Joy Smith ‘20, has had the opportunity to capture many experiences as a photography major. When she’s not covering campus events or taking photos for her portfolio, she spends her time traveling and serving with the campus organizations that have made her GWU experience so memorable. Keep reading to see what made her GWU Top 5 list:
1. Being a member of the Honors Student Association Executive Committee. Honors does so many wonderful things on and off GWU’s campus. Getting to be a leader in this organization is very important to me. I have been a Special Events Co-Chair as well as the Publicist and I have had the best time getting to experience everything honors has to offer, as well as plan and promote events throughout the year.
2. Presenting at the National Collegiate Honors Conference in Boston, Massachusetts. It was an honor to get to go to this conference and present on something I had worked so hard on. I presented alongside our President, Callie Elliot ‘19, about our annual Murder Mystery Event. We received a lot of positive feedback about how we can improve our event for the next year. With this trip, I was given the opportunity to go somewhere I probably wouldn’t have visited before.
3. Going to Nashville, Tennessee for a photojournalism conference. Dr. Carey, professor of Photography, organizes this conference each year and takes a group of photography students to attend. Some of the most experienced photographers currently working in the industry were in attendance. It was amazing to be able to work with them and gain some insight on how I can develop my skills. This trip made me feel very excited about my major and future career!
4. Going on the annual Big Sweep camping trip with the Honors Student Association. Every year we travel to West Jefferson, NC, to camp and canoe along the New River to clean it up. This event is a GWU Honors tradition that’s been happening for over 30 years. This event is one of the main things I will remember after I graduate. Besides building community with other honors students and freshmen, it’s such a fun experience. Camping is something I would never do if it weren’t for this trip!
5. Having the opportunity to be on Photo Staff and getting to capture different events on campus. It gives me amazing experience. I get to photograph all kinds of events like Octoberfest, dimensions speakers, Senior Pinning, and more. It is also a great feeling to see your own photos posted on the official GWU account!